[x264-devel] is x264 encoder able to update encoding setting realtime

BugMaster BugMaster at narod.ru
Thu Nov 17 18:27:56 CET 2016

On Thu, 17 Nov 2016 17:20:16 +0800 (CST), qw wrote:
> Hi,

>>> I have one question about x264 encoding setting update. At the>> start, the encoding setting is initialized. But later I want to
>>> update encoding setting, such as width/height, frame rate, and
>>> bitrate. Can I update those settings in the middle of encoding
>>> process, or I should close x264 encoder and open it again with new setting?
>>
>>> Thanks!
>>
>>> Regards
>>
>>> Andrew
>>
>>Hi. You should close x264 encoder and open it again with new setting.
>>Changing of these settings is not supported on the fly.

> I think the feature of updating encoding setting on the fly is very
> useful. Why not add the feature into x264 encoder?

I haven't said that there is no possibility to change options on the
fly at all. As Vittorio already answered there is
x264_encoder_reconfig() for this. But it can change only some of the
options not all of them. And width/height and frame rate are not part
of them because this change will need full encoder reinitialization
which is done with close/open.