[x264-devel] Hi, I want to ask a question about specific area encoding

Vittorio Giovara vittorio.giovara at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 17:01:50 CET 2016

On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 1:28 AM, Wei Gao <highgod0401 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> We want to encode a VR video using x264, and what we focus on is the center
> area of the image, So we want to make the center area the best quality and
> the less quality at the edge, is there any configure or setting can
> implement that?

I don't have an answer for your question, but out of curiosity, why
would you want to do that?
Assuming you are doing an equirectangular video,you usually get the
least of distortion, in the middle of the surface, so it would not
need a higher bitrate than normal. On the other hand, around the
edges, everything is stretched/squeezed, so I would expect that an
higher bitrate is needed there for better detail preservation.
--
Vittorio