[x264-devel] Clipping min-keyint

Pradeep Ramachandran pradeeprama at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 12:07:36 CEST 2016

Hi all,
I see in encoder/encoder.c, the following line

h->param.i_keyint_min = x264_clip3( h->param.i_keyint_min, 1,
h->param.i_keyint_max/2+1 );

Essentially, the keyint_min is clipped to be a max of keyint_max/2 +1. Now,
this results in the problem that if scenecut detects a scene transition
after keyint_min, it will insert IDR frame and break the GOP. So, if I were
interested in a fixed GOP length (no, not max GOP length, but fixed GOP
length for other reasons), I would have to disable scenecut detection which
would result in a loss of efficiency.

Can someone please help me understand why this clipping was done? It seems
like losing the benefits of scenecut detection if I want fixed GOP isn't
the best trade-off.

Thanks,
Pradeep.