[x264-devel] Basic question about x264_encoder_encode()

paolo perotinus paoloperot at yahoo.it
Fri Jan 13 21:45:44 CET 2017

Hello.
I want to build an application which encodes frames grabbed from a V4L2 device and streams them through HTTP.I don't want to use threads and the encoding and streaming functions will be called into one main loop.Therefore, I ask:
1) does x264_encoder_encode() function block until the frame is complete?

2) If it blocks by default, is there a way to avoid blocking without using threads? (The x264 can use, if required, internal threads, but I want don't want to call threads in my application)
3) How does VLC manage multiple simultaneous x264 encoders? Does it use threads?

Thanks!