[x264-devel] bug report: MB-tree frametype x doesn't match actual frametype y.

Henrik Gramner henrik at gramner.com
Thu Jun 8 09:02:02 CEST 2017

On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 8:40 AM, M. S. <nichts.als at gmx.net> wrote:
> When I do 2-pass DVD recodes with x264, I often encounter this error: x264
> aborts the second pass at the beginning and reports that "MB-tree frametype
> (whatever number) doesn't match actual frametype (whatever number)".

Does this occur if you use raw video as input to x264 as well? E.g. is
the input to x264 the same in both passes or is the AviSynth output
occasionally dropping frames or something?

> By the way, I was unable to try r2833, because it terminates at the
> beginning  of pass 1 (when the "status line" comes up: "Encoding frame x of
> y...") without leaving any error message. Maybe this version is no longer
> compatible with old software like Win XP SP3 & Co.?

I just spun up an old XP SP3 virtual machine to test it (just raw
input though since it doesn't have AviSynth or anything installed) and
it runs fine for me. With that said, I would strongly recommend
against using XP nowadays.