[x264-devel] Thoughts on interleaved content

BugMaster BugMaster at narod.ru
Fri Jun 9 19:46:55 CEST 2017

On Fri, 9 Jun 2017 16:48:26 +0530, Pradeep Ramachandran wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am trying to encode some 1080p progessive content into interlaced
> format. Would your recommend I convert it to 1080i using ffmpeg and
> then encode it with x264, or is it better to use the fake-interlaced
> in x264. If not, what is this flag used for?

> Thanks,
> Pradeep.

Hi. For what exactly do you want interlaced format?

Is it to obey some specs like bluray specs which for some resolutions
and fps need the stream to be flagged as interlaced?
Than --fake-interlaced is ok. It will flag stream as interlaced but
all MBAFF encoded macroblocks will be progressive.

If you need to make content really interlaced than you will need
ffmpeg or something else to convert video before encoding.