[x264-devel] speeding up encode to multiple bitrate output

Martin Belleau mbelleau at capellasystems.net
Tue Nov 7 22:41:40 CET 2017

I'm looking to do multiple encodes with same settings (resolution, frame
rate, encoding settings) but producing multiple bitrates on output,
likely using CBR or capped CRF.

Is there currently a way to speed this up and re-use some calculations,
using the x264 DLL?  Could I run the analysis pass once and re-use it
for my various encodes?  And if so, could I do this in pseudo-one-pass
encoding so this could also be used for live encoding scenarios?

Any guess as how much CPU resources/speed I could gain if I re-used
motion compensation, frame type decision, lookahead between the various
encodes (and if that makes much sense, and would much quality would be
lost)?

Would such a thing be possible to implement by modifying x264?

Any other suggestions for accomplishing this goal would be welcome!