[x264-devel] 10bit to 8bit encoding

Jun Zhao Jun.Zhao at vudu.com
Wed Jan 10 02:23:54 CET 2018

I have a 10bit video source in ProRes YUV422p10le format. But I want to encode it to 8bit in "high" profile. The encoded video seems very blocky.

If I use a good video editing tool to convert the movie source from 10bit to 8bit first, then encoded by x264, the problem goes away.

If I use ffmpeg to do the 10bit to 8 bit conversion, then encoded by x264, the blocky problem still exist but less severe.

Does x264 support 10bit to 8bit encoding? How to solve the blocky artifacts?

Best regards,
Jun