[x264-devel] Intercacing bug in X264.exe

Demuynck J-P jpdmk at telenet.be
Sun Oct 28 16:40:48 CET 2018

jpdmk at telenet.be

Hi,

First excuse my bad English

Thank you for your fantastic good quality x264 encoder but I have a big problem with Interlaced video. My source is high quality HD 50i and my goal is to preserve the interlacing in H.264.mp4 at 50MB/s (High at L4.1) or at 75MB/s @5.0 that are almost lossless.

With --tff

- Edius 9 last version and Adobe CS6 says that the H264 is Progressive
- Adobe CC2018 says that it is Upper Field First

With --bff

- Edius says that it is Progressive
- Adobe CS6 and CC 2018 says that it is Upper Field First

Since there is little movment in my pictures, I tried also with fake-interlaced without success (always interpreted as progressive)

I tried also with --pict-struct but this does not help

But the same streams are correctly interpred by MediaInfo

This is not a big problem in Edius or Adobe because there is an "Interpreet Footage" option but with the files directly on my TV (hard disk) or on my harware media player, the footage is incorrectly interpreted, what is not the case with the Edius H264 files. Thus, why not to use Edius: because the quality of your encoder is much better.

I think that your H264 Header is flaged to interlaced bff or tff in a way that is not compatible with the H264 specs

An other solution is to encode the interlaced in progressive (without deinterlacing) at a higher bit rate and patching the header of the mp4 file as interlaced but where are the bytes that I must change?

Help me please.

Best Regards.

Jean-Pierre