[x264-devel] Feedbacks - x264 benchmark

BugMaster BugMaster at narod.ru
Sun Feb 14 14:16:03 UTC 2021

On Sun, 14 Feb 2021 14:55:25 +0100 (CET), Luc Lesoil wrote:
> Hi,

> 1) The messages are just excerpts of the real commit messages, we will correct that.

> 2) It's the version used when installing x264 with a command line
> on a linux distribution (raspbian, fedora, etc.), so mostly
> downloaded by users. You are right though, it would be nice to
> replicate this on the last commit of x264.

> 3) Ok, we can try to measure the quality (SSIM maybe?) and find a
> compromise between quality and bitrate.

You should not only measure quality at some random bitrate but to make
them comparable you should measure it at same/equal bitrate (because
to make quality itself same/equal is much harder or mostly impossible
task). Or you can measure quality and bitrate at few points of
quality/bitrate curve and compare this RD curves (but this RD curves
should be overlapping to be comparable).