[vlc-devel] Re: Yopy-packages maintainer

Jean-Paul Saman jean-paul.saman at planet.nl
Thu Nov 16 22:23:43 CET 2006

Marinus Karel tenNapel wrote:
> Jean-Paul Saman,
>
> I see that the VLC team is looking for a Yopy-package maintainer.
> I have a Yopy-3700 and I would be happy to maintain those packages.
>
> However, I have no experience how to cross-compile software for the
> ARM-ach. So I'm going to need some help there. According to your
> website, that is not going to be a problem :)
>
> Some info about me. I'm using Linux for some years now. My distro is
> Gentoo. I'm a sysadmin where I manage several Linux servers and
> desktops. I know the basics of C++ coding, compiling, makefiles, etc.
> But as I sayd, that knownledge is limited, don't expect too much of
> it ;)
>
> If you think I'm usefull, let me know. I'm happy to help.

We welcome you to help us get our Yopy packages version back in shape.
There is some documentation on developers.videolan.org about cross
compiling. Also on home.planet.nl/~jpsaman/ under the Yopy Link there is
some description about cross-compiling.

Another route can be to use VLC's extras/contrib system for
cross-compiling. Of course it needs some tweaking for the Yopy platform.

Don't hesitate to ask questions on the mailinglist or visit
irc.freenode.net #videolan during CET day/evening time. Most VideoLAN
developers hang out there anyway.

Please don't forget to send us your changes and Yopy binary packages.
Otherwise the package maintenance is a hollow offer.

Good Luck !

Gtz,
Jean-Paul Saman.