[vlc] About VLC Buffering and HTTPS Playback

Varinder varinder at canaca.com
Wed Feb 3 16:45:44 CET 2010

Hi,

My name is Varinder. I'm one of the network and systems tech. at
Canaca-Com Inc. I believe that these fixes will also make VLC better for
everyone.

The issues are:

    * VLC freezes the HTTP video stream as it buffers a set amount of
      time/data. When the player finished playing this pre-buffered
      data, it starts buffering again. When the buffer starts again, the
      video stops until a decent amount of data is available to play
      from again. The problem is that this ruins the viewers experience
      when watching the video.

      My recommendations are as follows
          o Allow VLC to continuously buffer, a configurable play time
            or buffer size, until it reaches the end-of-stream.
            (Something like buffer in background about 10 min of play or
            50MB and prevent that buffer from going low (Like dvd-burner
            buffer under-run technology) but start to play when the
            player has 1 min or 50MB)
          o This configurable buffer setting should be available in the
            Properties Dialog.

    * VLC does not play HTTPS streams with HTTP-AUTH. We would like this
      to be added to VLC. Also the ability to save the username/password
      would be user-friendly.

      Please add HTTPS stream playback with the ability to save the
      certificates and username/passwords for HTTP-AUTH.

Please contact me as I would like to get these fixed asap.

Thank you,

Varinder