[Android] Network caching setter does nothing?

Jorge Suárez de Lis yo at jorgesuarezdelis.name
Sat Feb 22 20:42:27 CET 2014

I'm having a problem with libvlc for Android. The method setNetworkCaching
seems to do nothing. Even when I set the network caching to 20000 (that's
20000ms, I guess), the player starts inmediately. There is no difference at
all from 1000 or 5000.

This is my code:

        // Initialize the multimedia framework
        try {
            mLibVLC = LibVLC.getInstance();
            mLibVLC.init(PlayerActivity.currentActivity);
        } catch(LibVlcException e) {
            Log.d("RBT","Error initializing the libVLC multimedia
framework!");
            PlayerActivity.currentActivity.finish();
        }

        // Unset verbose mode
        mLibVLC.setVerboseMode(false);

        // Set 20 seconds for network caching
        mLibVLC.setNetworkCaching(20000);

        // Load media list, clear it and add stream
        MediaList list = mLibVLC.getPrimaryMediaList();
        list.clear();
        list.add(LibVLC.PathToURI("
http://live.radiobattletoads.com:443/saltxero.ogg"));

        // Play
        mLibVLC.playIndex(0);
        mLibVLC.play();

I traced the libvlcmethod setNetworkCaching to this mail in August:
https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/android/2013-August/002535.html

Am I doing something wrong? Thank you.