[Android] LibVLC android commit 7733732: no vout on mpeg4/m2ts

Thomas Guillem thomas at gllm.fr
Wed Jan 7 16:25:17 CET 2015

On Wed, Jan 7, 2015, at 16:07, ben wrote:
> Le 06/01/2015 17:21, ben a écrit :
> > Hello VLC Android list,
> >
> > With vlc's git up to commit 7733732, i am updating a Fragment that
> > implements IVideoPlayer, but cannot get any picture out with a
> > mpeg4/m2ts, with HWAccel both enabled/disabled.
> >
> > [log]
> > D/VLC﹕ core window: looking for vout window module matching "any": 1
> > candidates
> > D/VLC﹕ core window: no vout window modules matched
> > D/VLC﹕ core video output: Opening vout display wrapper
> > D/VLC﹕ core vout display: looking for vout display module matching
> > "androidsurface": 4 candidates
> > E/VLC﹕ android_surface vout display: Could not initialize
> > libandroid.so/libui.so/libgui.so/libsurfaceflinger_client.so!
> > D/VLC﹕ core vout display: no vout display modules matched
> > E/VLC﹕ core video output: video output creation failed
> > [/log]
> >

> What surprises me is that VLC (vanilla) dos not behaves the same way:
>
> [log]
> D/VLC﹕ core video output: Opening vout display wrapper
> D/VLC﹕ core vout display: looking for vout display module matching
> "androidwindow": 4 candidates
> D/VLC﹕ android_window vout display: using opaque
> [/log]
>
> Here, VLC is looking for "androidwindow" instead of "androidsurface" and
> then the video displays.

androidwindow is the new vout used for newer android devices.
I think your VLC is up to date but not your vlc-android.

vlc-android changed a little, check
http://git.videolan.org/?p=vlc-ports/android.git;a=commit;h=6cb263e66f238c3fefbbbaac606076abf29025cf
and all commits from 11/15 - 11/17 here:
http://git.videolan.org/?p=vlc-ports/android.git;a=shortlog;h=2d4db56373bf631cf77f8e0a7a1a1865d5c67588