[Android] In m3u playlists, files with sharps (#) in filename do not load, hash character comments out filename

juliank at i2pmail.org juliank at i2pmail.org
Wed Jul 22 20:47:39 CEST 2020

I'm actually not sure what the proper convention is for comments in m3u files, but given that lines like:

#EXTINF:0,

...are not strictly comments(?), I'm inclined to think hashes are not for comments. I may be incorrect though.

I poked around and found that others have a similar problem (https://github.com/google/ExoPlayer/issues/6470). I tried url encoding the '#' as '%23' as suggested and it **actually works** in both the desktop and Android versions of VLC, it does make producing an m3u less intuitive and I doubt this is the correct method but willing to stand corrected.