[dvblast-devel] Jumbo Frames

Georgi Chorbadzhiyski gf at unixsol.org
Mon Mar 12 23:43:17 CET 2012

On 3/13/12 12:37 AM, Georgi Chorbadzhiyski wrote:
> On 3/13/12 12:30 AM, Armin Zeid wrote:
>> Is it possible to configure dvblast to send out jumbo frames? I'm running
>> Ubuntu 10.10 and set the MTU on the network interface to 9000 bytes but the
>> packets received are about 1000 bytes. My network gear also supports jumbo
>> frames.
>
> Direct quote from the README:
>
> The syntax of the -D option is:
> where <src mcast> is the multicast address carrying the stream, and <src
> host> is optionally the address of the source, for source-specific multicast.
> Options include:
> /udp (for streams without an RTP header)
> /mtu=XXXX (sets the maximum UDP packet size)
> /ifindex=X (binds to a specific network interface, by link number)
> /ifaddr=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX (binds to a specific network interface, by address)
>
> For example:
> -D 239.255.0.2:1234/udp/mtu=9000

Forgot to mention, since we are talking udp here. If the software that
reads this output stream do not expect to get more than 1316 bytes (why
should it expect that?) and issues reads for 1316 bytes (which is pretty
standard for mpegts over udp), this means everything after 1316 bytes up
to the size of the packet you set will be probably lost. So while the MTU
parameter probably will work and DVBlast will try to send bigger packets,
expect only problems.

--
Georgi Chorbadzhiyski
http://georgi.unixsol.org/