[dvblast-devel] [patch] make DVR_BUFFER_SIZE configurable

Christophe Massiot cmassiot at openheadend.tv
Tue Oct 29 16:25:16 CET 2013

Le 28 oct. 2013 à 10:58, Stas Sergeev <stsp at list.ru> a écrit :

> However, I really disagree that it doesn't have any negative
> effect. On embedded systems, allocating 8Mb of the unswappable
> kernel memory just for the buffers, is a very big penalty.
> Actually, for me it just triggers the OOM.
> So I would still suggest making dvblast polite by default, and
> increase the buffer with the command-line option for those
> who need it. If you disagree, just ignore the second patch of mine.

This makes sense, but lowering the buffer size would create problems for 95% of our users who are on PCs. And people who, like you, have strict memory requirements will know how to find the appropriate option.

If I remember correctly, polling in another thread didn't work either; anyway threading would not be easy to do with the current DVBlast structure.