[dvblast-devel] [patch] make DVR_BUFFER_SIZE configurable

Stas Sergeev stsp at list.ru
Tue Oct 29 17:34:02 CET 2013

29.10.2013 19:25, Christophe Massiot пишет:
> Le 28 oct. 2013 à 10:58, Stas Sergeev <stsp at list.ru> a écrit :
>
>> However, I really disagree that it doesn't have any negative
>> effect. On embedded systems, allocating 8Mb of the unswappable
>> kernel memory just for the buffers, is a very big penalty.
>> Actually, for me it just triggers the OOM.
>> So I would still suggest making dvblast polite by default, and
>> increase the buffer with the command-line option for those
>> who need it. If you disagree, just ignore the second patch of mine.
> This makes sense, but lowering the buffer size would create problems for 95% of our users who are on PCs. And people who, like you, have strict memory requirements will know how to find the appropriate option.
>
> If I remember correctly, polling in another thread didn't work either; anyway threading would not be easy to do with the current DVBlast structure.
OK, no problems to have it that way if it is
rather difficult to implement properly right here & right now.
But it would be nice to at least outline and write
down the problems that hold us from doing the
right things (with buffer, with multiple pmts etc),
so that someone can spend time solving them.
Right now they are not even known, and if my
patches are rejected because of the unknown problems,
there are no chances I can help with them. :)

Also, these problems are the real gotchas.
I've figured out about pmts only thanks to this ML,
and tracked the OOM to the buffer allocation only
after some debugging. It may not be very simple
for people to find these options.