[dvblast-devel] DVBlast 3.0

Christophe Massiot cmassiot at openheadend.tv
Tue Jul 21 19:19:03 CEST 2015

Dear all,

I am currently working on using an event loop within DVBlast. I think this move is necessary, because the current event model is a nightmare to understand and debug (a poll in all input implementations, that has to be aware of what’s going on elsewhere), imprecise (the timers only run when we get input packets), and it doesn’t allow to extend the feature range of DVBlast. I will also work on monitoring stuff, such as printing a warning when no packet runs on a PID, and such. When all this is done I intend to publish a 3.0 release.

The bad news is that we will have from now on a runtime dependancy : libev. Libev is very common in Linux distributions, and I have already used it for several projects (in particular Upipe). It is stable and lightweight. TBH I can’t imagine life without it now ;). I hope it won't be too much of an inconvenience for my fellow developers.

All the best,