[libbdplus-devel] About clarify the license of sha1.* files of libbdplus

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Sat Nov 22 22:25:12 CET 2014

Hello Dylan,

On 22 Nov, Dylan wrote :
> I am trying to push libbdplus to official Debian repository.

That's a bold move :)

> As you can see
> on Debian Multimedia Team mailing list [1], there is a doubt with the
> license of src/libbdplus/bdsvm/sha1.* files which prevent it upload. The
> Debian Policy requires [2] for files in the public domain a paragraph which
> explain exactly what exemption these files have from default copyright
> restrictions.
>
> Could you help me to clarify the license?

libbdplus should be licensed under LGPLv2.1 or later.

For sha1, I'm afraid this is a very widely used implementation, and that
you package it already in Debian, like in mutt:
http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/m/mutt/mutt_1.5.21.orig.tar.gz

Therefore, you probably know better than us, what we should write there
to please you.

With my kindest regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf