[libbluray-devel] Trouble with Star Trek:TOS multi-angle Blu-Rays

Linards Ticmanis ticmanis at gmx.de
Sat Apr 16 10:46:32 CEST 2011

Hello to you all, I just joined the list in the hope that you can maybe
help me with a problem, or I can help you in debugging it. I hope this
is the right place to ask in the first place, if not, I'd be happy for a
hint where to go. Please bear with me, the following message is somewhat
longish.

My Setup:

I use Ubuntu, on that I run mplayer with libbluray (both compiled by me
from fresh svn / git trees). I'm trying to play, with that setup,
decoded versions of some Blu-Rays from the German release of Star Trek:
The Original Series, Season One. To be exact I'm trying to play the
versions with the old 1960s effect shots, which go as "Blu-Ray Angle 1"
on those discs, while the default versions with the digitally enhanced
or redone effects go as "Blu-Ray Angle 0".

My Problem:

What I'm trying to do works well for most episodes by simply saying
"mplayer -bluray-angle 1 ...", except for those two that feature a
Picture-in-Picture comment ("The Menagerie Part I" and "Space Seed" in
this particular release). With them, giving -bluray-angle 1 to mplayer
gives me the video of the PiP comment track instead, with the audio of
the series. Where there's nothing in the comment track, I get black
video. Still, according to mplayer there's only two angles in there. And
the angle I want must be there since I can chose it and see it in a
Windows based player - not a real alternative, though.

My Questions:

Is it a known problem that libbluray confuses PiP comment tracks with
angles? Is there a work-around? (saying -bluray-angle 2 or any higher
number is not.) If there's no work-around, are you interested in fixing
the problem that might affect other blu-rays except this one? And in
case you are interested, what information should I contribute (what
logs, maybe attempt it with some other software player such as VLC,
insert some tests into the code, send you data from the problematic
movies, whatever).

What I can, and can't, do to help:

I "code around" well enough in C, especially when it comes to playing
around with other people's code, and I know my way around Linux, bash
scripting, perl, python, etc. I can - more or less - read and follow C++
code. I can carry out meaningful discussions in English or German.

However I can't really code in C++ or write large things from scratch.
And my Internet connection is too slow to realistically upload the whole
problematic Blu-Rays anywhere, so I'd need some idea on how to generate
smaller but still useful-for-debugging data sets from them.

Thanks for your consideration!

--
Linards Ticmanis