[libbluray-devel] problems with JAVA

Petri Hintukainen phintuka at users.sourceforge.net
Sat May 7 19:24:18 CEST 2011

tux99-libbluray at uridium.org wrote:
> On Fri, 6 May 2011, Petri Hintukainen wrote:
> >
> > BD-J support is still incomplete.
>
> Are there any known good BDs where the BD-J menus are known to work?
> They would be useful for me for testing that my build is correct.

None of my BD-J discs work. If you get "Not implemented" exception with
bdj_test, java is probably working.

Note that currently BD-J opens separate window for graphics. Java
graphics are not available from library API. I don't know if it can
handle any user input ; at least not thru library API.

> > Have you tried setting path to libbluray.jar ? Like:
> > [cd .../libbluray]
> > LIBBLURAY_CP=./src/.libs/libbluray.jar ./src/examples/bdj_test /.../BluRay/ 00000
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, it solved the SIGSEV issue.
>
> I have libbluray.jar in /usr/share/java, shouldn't that be a standard
> location where it would get found automatically?

Well, in my system (gentoo, sun-jdk-1.6) there's no /usr/share/java ...

> Where should I put it to avoid having to set the env variable?
> (this is not an ideal solution in a distro package)

No ideas. I tried several locations without success (it seems to work
only if libbluray.jar is in current directory).

> Also I noticed that when running bdj_test it looks for 'libbluray.so'
> and not for 'libbluray.so.0'. In most distros the '.so' symlink is
> included only in the devel package, the normal lib package only contains
> '.so.$major' and 'so.$major.$minor.0'.
>
> I'm not a programmer so it's hard for me to debug/fix myself but a quick
> 'grep -r libbluray.so *' in the sourcedir return a few instances where I
> see 'load libbluray.so'.

I don't know the implementation enough well to say anything for sure,
but it seems weird if it needs to load libbluray.so ? Maybe for native
methods or when testing as standalone java application ... ?

Anyway, it seems to work just well even with that "
System.loadLibrary("libbluray") " line commented out.

> Basically I trying to package up libbluray for SL6/RHEL6 (I know there
> are packages around already but they are old and incomplete) and
> currently bdj_test doesn't work unless I also install the -devel package
> which shouldn't be necessary.

I would package the library without BD-J support. Normal users have no
use for it yet.

- Petri