[libbluray-devel] problems with JAVA

Erik Van Grunderbeeck erik at arawix.com
Sat May 7 20:21:58 CEST 2011

>> >It seems that System.loadLibary() only looks for 'libname.so', there
>> >doesn't seem to be a way to make it look for 'libname.so.$major' as
>> >would be more correct.
>> Thats correct. It would be better to use System.load(), since on windows
the
>> searchpath for LoadLibrary is also limited to the windows path

>Does System.load() require full file name with extension ? Then it needs
>to know host OS type to select right file extension (libbluray.dll,
>libbluray.so, libbluray.dylib, ...).

System.loadLibary() doesn't need the extension, but only searches in the
java path, or the system path env variable. Depending on your local java
provider, they may implement whatever they feel like. Although every "pure"
java developer states that loadlibrary() should be prefered to load()... it
fails enough to ignore it imho.

>Does java side really need to load libbluray (which loads jvm) ? If yes,
>it should be quite easy to resolve full path + file name of the library
>and pass it to java side at initialization.

In theory, I guess not. From a practical point of view, yes. The application
needs ege to be aware whats happening (if only so it knows the movie started
playing, and stopped). Going further, one might need native canvas drawing
(to include the output in a player window), emulated button/mouse
navigation, etc...

I started making changes, but I am waiting for some feedback before I do
more (I dont want to duplicate work, and not sure what the current idea is).

- Petri