[libbluray-devel] Can I help out with development of BD-J support?

Roald Strauss mr_lou at dewfall.dk
Thu Oct 8 11:15:26 CEST 2015

Hello all,

Apologies if I'm not bringing anything new to the party.
I confess I haven't read any previous mails on this mailing list.

I have a big geeky interest in BD-J development, i.e. developing Java
Xlet that runs on Blu-ray players.

For about 3-4 years (I've lost count) I've been working on a geeky
project I'm calling "8bit Stories".

It is a kind of diskmag, or at least a diskmag-like creation for blu-ray
players.
In short, I'm writing a bunch of stories about the old retro computers I
experienced as a child, and presenting them in a diskmag-like GUI
running on Blu-ray players.

The idea is that people can enjoy this eBook/diskmag-like creation in
the couch in their livingroom using a hardware blu-ray player, or
infront of their computerscreen using a software blu-ray player.
There are plenty of (commercial) software players available for Windows.
But I'm using Linux, so I'm excited to see BD-J support being
implemented for libbluray so my creation can be played with software
players like VLC and Kodi.

I'm rather passionate about this project, which is why I have bought
several Blu-ray players to test on, and burned unbelievably many discs
just to test. At the moment I have about 10 different hardware blu-ray
players in the house, and have tested on at least 10 other hardware
players while visiting various shops.
During this quest I have of course found (weird) bugs on some players
and then fixed those. At the moment my engine works on all players I
have tested on.

But not VLC... (haven't tried Kodi, but I assume it'll be the same).
VLC returns errors, that I'll paste in a moment.
These errors are shown when trying 3 different Blu-ray folders:
- Snake Xlet, downloaded from somewhere I don't remember
- Funky Fresh BD-J demo, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_E9VaXywG0
- My own project "8bit Stories"

Is there anything I can help out with as a BD-J Xlet developer? Please
let me know.
I would love my BD-J project "8bit Stories" to be runnable with VLC and
Kodi when it's done.
Although I've spend an enormous amount of time (and way too much money
too) on this project, my plan remains to release it for free as an ISO
file people can burn themselves - or watch using a software player like
PowerDVD, VLC or Kodi.

Roald Strauss
Mr.Lou / Dewfall Productions

Command: vlc bluray:///path/to/blu-ray/folder/ --bluray-menu

VLC media player 2.0.8 Twoflower (revision 2.0.8a-0-g68cf50b)
[0x92ea8f0] main libvlc: VLC kører med standardgrænsefladen. Brug "cvlc"
for at køre VLC uden grænseflade.
libbluray/bdj/bdj.c:128: Opening
/usr/lib/jvm/java-7-oracle/jre/lib/i386/server/libjvm ...
[0xb210bde8] libbluray demux: First play: 1, Top menu: 1
HDMV Titles: 0, BD-J Titles: 1, Other: 1
libbluray/bdj/bdj.c:128: Opening
/usr/lib/jvm/java-7-oracle/jre/lib/i386/server/libjvm ...
libbluray/bdj/bdj_util.c:95: Failed to register native methods for class
org/videolan/Libbluray
Exception in thread "main"
PrintStream.java:java.io.PrintStream.println:823:
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: Method
org.videolan.Libbluray.getTitleInfoN(JI)Lorg/videolan/TitleInfo; not found

libbluray/bdj/bdj_util.c:86: Failed to locate class java/awt/BDGraphics
Exception in thread "main"
PrintStream.java:java.io.PrintStream.println:823:
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError:
java.awt.BDFontMetrics.resolveFontN(Ljava/lang/String;I)Ljava/lang/String;

PrintStream.java:java.io.PrintStream.println:823:     at
java.awt.BDFontMetrics.resolveFontN(Native Method)

PrintStream.java:java.io.PrintStream.println:823:     at
java.awt.BDFontMetrics.addSystemFont(BDFontMetrics.java:65)

PrintStream.java:java.io.PrintStream.println:823:     at
java.awt.BDFontMetrics.initSystemFonts(BDFontMetrics.java:100)

PrintStream.java:java.io.PrintStream.println:823:     at
java.awt.BDFontMetrics.init(BDFontMetrics.java:119)

PrintStream.java:java.io.PrintStream.println:823:     at
java.awt.BDFontMetrics.getFontList(BDFontMetrics.java:195)

PrintStream.java:java.io.PrintStream.println:823:     at
java.awt.BDGraphicsEnvironment.getAvailableFontFamilyNames(BDGraphicsEnvironment.java:43)

PrintStream.java:java.io.PrintStream.println:823:     at
java.awt.Font.setFamily(Font.java:262)

PrintStream.java:java.io.PrintStream.println:823:     at
java.awt.Font.<init>(Font.java:210)

PrintStream.java:java.io.PrintStream.println:823:     at
java.awt.Font.<init>(Font.java:45)

PrintStream.java:java.io.PrintStream.println:823:     at
java.awt.BDGraphicsBase.<clinit>(BDGraphicsBase.java:42)

libbluray/bdj/bdj.c:304: Couldn't register native methods.
Exception in thread "main"
PrintStream.java:java.io.PrintStream.println:823:
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: init

libbluray/bdj/bdj_util.c:65: Failed to locate class
org/videolan/Libbluray method init (JLjava/lang/String;)V
libbluray/bluray.c:1781: bd_read(): no valid title selected!
[0xb210bde8] libbluray demux: Closing overlay.