[libbluray-devel] libbluray on Windows 10 with JRE 9

Petri Hintukainen phintuka at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Dec 22 09:28:14 CET 2017

su, 2017-12-10 kello 16:15 +0100, Marvin Scholz kirjoitti:

> On 10 Dec 2017, at 13:58, Petri Hintukainen wrote:
>
> > su, 2017-12-03 kello 15:39 +0100, Marvin Scholz kirjoitti:
> > > Just tried to use libbluray with VLC on a Windows 10 machine with
> > > JRE
> > > 9 and
> > > realized it does not work, I guess that's expected?
> >
> > Not intentional but more or less expected :). Looks like it doesn't
> > even compile with JDK 9 (9b181).
>
> Does it need to compile with JDK 9 to run with JRE 9?

No, any JDK / compiler should be fine. Using JDK 9 to build distributed
.jar file may be even a bad idea.

Compiling against Java 9 runtime libraries (or what ever will be used
at run time) is a quick way to test if some interfaces have been
changed. Those will cause issues when classes are linked at runtime.

> It seems it already fails at initializing the JVM, maybe API changed
> for that?

In Windows the location is read from registry. And for some reason they
decided to change the registry keys:

Fixed in git (but not tested).

In Linux loading JVM fails because of -Xbootclass/p option is not
supported anymore. I'd expect this to happen also in Windows. This is
kind of critical issue; it is used to "patch" Java RT libraries for
backwards compatibility.

> > I'll check if it is easy to fix.

Compile time issues seem relatively easy to fix. But there are other
issues too... before we can even test any Xlets.

Looking at Java 9 migration guide I'd expect fixing all issues will
take more than just couple of days...