Dvd playing over a windows network

Loïc Minier lool at via.ecp.fr
Sun Feb 23 14:55:14 CET 2003

"Francisco J. León" <espectro at inbox.lv> - Fri, Feb 21, 2003:

> Is it possible to play a dvd over a network? Even more restrictive, can
> the machine hosting the dvd drive use Windows, and let linux use it?

 The goal of VideoLAN is to stream video across a network, including
 DVD. It is possible to play a dvd over a network but it is currently
 not so easy to remote control a DVD on a windows host. Here's what you
 can do with current videolan software:

 - launch a VLS (videolan server) on a linux OS to stream a DVD to any
 number of hosts (all hosts will be seing the same video at the same
 time) and control the vls via telnet, ssh or http.

 - launch a VLS on a windows machine and stream VOBs. Streaming the DVD
 under windows is in beta as far as I understood.

 - launch a VLC (videolan client) on a windows or linux host and let it
 stream to any number of hosts via the new Stream Output function (since
 0.5.0). You'll be able to control the VLC process on the streaming side
 but it is a bit tricky to remote control it (I could summarize more on
 this if you're interested).

> The most i have been able to do, is share the dvd drive over samba and
> play yhe .vob files.

 The problem is to send special controls to the DVD drive to
 descramble the tracks, and samba/netbios or normal network protocols
 like FTP don't allow this.
   The only thing you can do is launching a vlc or a vls to unlock the
 DVD and then share the files via a normal network protocol, for example
 you might use a web server to share the VOB over http.
   Sharing the files permits multiple persons to watch different parts
 of the same movie at the same time. If you try to stream with vlc or
 vls, all clients will see the same movie at the same position.

   HTH,

--
Loïc Minier <lool at via.ecp.fr>