Fwd: [MPlayer-users] SCSI emulation

H}kan Hjort d95hjort at dtek.chalmers.se
Sat Jan 4 01:22:40 CET 2003

Fri Jan 03 2003, Arpi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > > we've got lots of such bugreports.
> > > is it a known problem/limitation that libdvdcss doesn't work with scsi
> > > emulation with ide dvd drives?
> >
> >    We've got so few reports about it that I didn't think it was
> > specifically related to SCSI emulation. I'll have a look.
>
> thanks.
>
> since combined dvdrom-cdwriter drives getting more common and cheaper, it
> may be a bigger issue in the near future, since cdrecord (and afaik the
> others too) requires scsi emulation to work.
> (and afaik switching scsi emu on an ide drive requires rebooting the
> kernel...)

What I've seen so far has been the opposite, i.e. not working normaly
but if one used ide-scsi then it works (making sure to use the correct
device node).
Some systems seem to use /dev/sr# and some /dev/scd#

There defenatly is some bug here though, querrying the device/drive
shows anomalous behaviour values so I think it's in the kernel.
Some combination of drives, ide-chipsets and kernel versions..

--
Håkan Hjort