Fwd: Re: Fwd: [MPlayer-users] SCSI emulation

H}kan Hjort d95hjort at dtek.chalmers.se
Sun Jan 5 21:46:47 CET 2003

Sun Jan 05 2003, Bob Lockie wrote:
> H}kan Hjort wrote:
> >Sat Jan 04 2003, Bob Lockie wrote:

> >>Of course it is flaky and seems to work today. :-(
> >>I ran the tests anyways, maybe the "invalid argument" errors should not
> >>be there anyways.
> >>
> >Humm.. wierd.

> >>No, it failed on the 3 discs I tried.

> >># hdparm -d /dev/sr1
> >>/dev/sr1 not supported by hdparm
> >>How do I enable DMA for an emulated IDE DVD drive?
> >>

> >Changing the DMA status is done by reprogramming the IDE chipset/bus,
> >so even when it's using ide-scsi emulation you need to use the underlying
> >ide node to change it.  So /dev/hdc for you, and then read/test on the
> >/dev/sr1 node.  Your sure sr1 is the DVD?
> >
> That was my guess but /dev/hdc disappears when I use SCSI emulation.
> # ll /dev/hdc
> ls: /dev/hdc: No such file or directory

A side effect of using devfs perhaps?  There should be some trace of
the ide device still, should there not?  Or there will be a general
problem with things like DMA!

[snip]
> Maybe I forgot to change the link for /dev to /dev/sr1.
> With SCSI emulation it appears that the /dev/dvd link cannot point to
> /dev/cdrom (even if that points to the correct device).

That's strange.

The only thing I see that migth mess things up here is that for CSS
authentication and key exchange one has do make a few ioctl calls, to
ba able to do that one needs to have both read & write permission.

For SCSI emulation you had
lr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root            8 Jan  4 07:00 /dev/dvd -> /dev/sr1
brw-rw----    1 root     cdrecording  11,   1 Dec 31  1969 /dev/dvd

and for normal IDE
lr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root           10 Jan  4 15:12 /dev/dvd -> /dev/cdrom
brw-rw-rw-    1 root     root      22,   0 Dec 31  1969 /dev/dvd

So unless you are a member of the cdrecording group you don't have
'rw' permissions in the SCSI emulation case.

Another thing is that for all the logs reading sector (lba) 512 and later
failed.

--
Håkan Hjort