libdvdcss and region codes

Andru Luvisi luvisi at andru.sonoma.edu
Wed Mar 19 22:29:25 CET 2003

My apologies if this question is not appropriate here.  I tried
subscribing to libdvdcss at videolan.org and got a "No such list" error, even
though it is in the results from the list server's "lists" command, and
the list recommended in the README file.  My searches in the archive were
unsuccessful but that could be because I did not know what to search for.

Am I correct in understanding that with libdvdcss I should be able to play
DVDs with any region code?

I am using an Apple PowerBook G4 with a UJ-815 DVD-R drive, and I seem to
only be able to play region 1 DVDs, both in Mac OS X using VLC 0.5.2-test2
and in Linux using xine and libdvdcss 1.2.6.

Both in OSX using VLC and in Linux using xine and libdvdcss 1.2.6 with
DVDCSS_VERBOSE=2 I get "libdvdcss error: ioctl ReadDiscKey failed"

I have tried the "key", "disc", and "title" methods, all with no success.
Looking at src/css.c it appears that the error above is printed before it
gets to picking between the three.

Any ideas or pointers to information that might be of use?

Thanks,
Andru
--
Andru Luvisi, Programmer/Analyst

Quote Of The Moment:
  ( Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound. )