libdvdcss and region codes

Christophe Massiot massiot at via.ecp.fr
Wed Mar 19 23:38:52 CET 2003

À (At) 13:29 -0800 19/03/03, Andru Luvisi écrivait (wrote) :

>My apologies if this question is not appropriate here.  I tried

It is fully appropriate here.

>I am using an Apple PowerBook G4 with a UJ-815 DVD-R drive, and I seem to
>only be able to play region 1 DVDs, both in Mac OS X using VLC 0.5.2-test2
>and in Linux using xine and libdvdcss 1.2.6.

That's the same case for all PowerBook G4 owners. But your experiment
is very interesting : we didn't know if it was the drive or the OS
which prevented us from reading a different region DVD. Since it
doesn't work either under Linux, I suppose it's a problem with the
drive.

There is no known workaround, though under Linux the contents of your
'dmesg' and system logs might give us a clue.

--
Christophe Massiot.