libdvdcss and region codes

Andru Luvisi luvisi at andru.sonoma.edu
Fri Mar 21 19:19:17 CET 2003

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003, Andru Luvisi wrote:
[snip]
> For what it's worth I can mount the DVD and can see and read several .vob,
> .bup and .ifo files, so some form of read access is available...  or are
> you talking about read access to some magic place on the DVD other than
> where the file system is stored?
[snip]

I take that back.  I can see .vob, .bup, and .ifo files, but I can't read
most of the .vob files.  Under both Linux and MacOSX I can only read
VIDEO_TS.VOB.  All of the others (VTS_[0-9][0-9]_[0-9].VOB) give me an
input/output error.  I tested this in both Linux and MacOSX with
"for i in *; do cat $i > /dev/null; done".

I also tried creating a raw image of the DVD, and on both
OSs I got an input/output error before I had read even a full megabyte.

Thanks for all the effort.

Does anyone maintain a list of "you're screwed" drives that I should check
in the future, and get the MATSHITA/Panisonic UJ-815 listed on to warn
others?

Andru
--
Andru Luvisi, Programmer/Analyst

Quote Of The Moment:
  Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from
  mediocre minds.
                  -- Albert Einstein

  They laughed at Einstein.  They laughed at the Wright Brothers.
  But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
                  -- Carl Sagan