CSS key cache collisions

James Slorach jrs47 at janx.org
Sun Mar 23 20:49:59 CET 2003

I am using the current CVS version of xine with libdvdcss-1.2.6

The CSS key caching mechanism stores keys in directories named after the
title of the DVD. Unfortunately, this title is not unique - many DVDs use
generic titles such as 'DVDVOLUME' or 'DVD_VIDEO'. This obviously risks
collisions in the cache.

I have noticed at least 7 different collisions, where two or more DVDs
have the same title and attempt to use the same file to cache a key. In
one case, 8 different DVDs use the same file.

This means that the first DVD will be ok, but subsequent DVDs which
collide will attempt to use an incorrect key unless the cached key is
deleted first.

Perhaps the DVD serial number should be used as well as the title? I don't
know if its uniqueness is guaranteed, but the combination of title and
serial number should reduce the chance of collision considerably.

James