CSS key cache collisions

James Slorach jrs47 at janx.org
Tue Mar 25 01:20:02 CET 2003

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003, Michael Roitzsch wrote:

> Hi James, Hi libdvdcss team,
>
> I have looked through my DVD archive and have also found discs with the
> same disc title, although I could not trigger any clash here.
> Especially TV series with multiple DVDs per season can suffer from
> this. (I am talking about the Star Trek TNG box sets.)
>
> Attached is a patch which includes the serial number into the directory
> name. I don't know if this is guaranteed to be safe, but it works
> nicely here. The patch also fixes an issue when the key cache is used
> together with raw devices: The raw reading has to be enabled after
> extracting the disc title and serial, because otherwise the reads will
> fail due to the target buffers not being properly aligned in memory.
>
> If James can confirm that this fixes the clashes, I would be glad if
> this could make it into cvs. Thanks.

I have applied the patch to libdvdcss-1.2.6

Actually, it uses the date instead of the serial number. For example:

libdvdcss debug: using CSS key cache dir:
/home/jrs47/.dvdcss//DVD_VIDEO#2000041918251900/
libdvdnav: DVD Title: DVD_VIDEO
libdvdnav: DVD Serial Number: 28939329
libdvdnav: DVD Title (Alternative):

The clashes no longer occur.