libdvdcss and region codes

Adam Jones adam at yggdrasl.demon.co.uk
Sun Mar 23 20:20:31 CET 2003

On 21-Mar-03, Andru Luvisi wrote:

> Does anyone maintain a list of "you're screwed" drives that I should
> check in the future, and get the MATSHITA/Panisonic UJ-815 listed on
> to warn others?

I'd imagine that this would happen with *all* RPC-2 drives.  The changes
from RPC-1 to RPC-2 were to move the region checking into the drive
firmware and to only allow 5 region changes before permanently locking
the region code.  All new drives since RPC-2 was introduced a few years
ago are RPC-2, annoyingly.

Basically, you need to hunt around on the net and see if you can get
some RPC-1 firmware for your drive.  There's something out there for
almost every drive I've ever encountered.
--
Adam Jones (adam at yggdrasl.demon.co.uk)(http://www.yggdrasl.demon.co.uk/)
.oO("So, just shut up or I will have to bitchslap you."                )