libdvdcss and region codes

H}kan Hjort d95hjort at dtek.chalmers.se
Mon Mar 24 10:44:44 CET 2003

Sun Mar 23 2003, Adam Jones wrote:
> On 21-Mar-03, Andru Luvisi wrote:
>
> > Does anyone maintain a list of "you're screwed" drives that I should
> > check in the future, and get the MATSHITA/Panisonic UJ-815 listed on
> > to warn others?
>
> I'd imagine that this would happen with *all* RPC-2 drives.  The changes
> from RPC-1 to RPC-2 were to move the region checking into the drive
> firmware and to only allow 5 region changes before permanently locking
> the region code.  All new drives since RPC-2 was introduced a few years
> ago are RPC-2, annoyingly.

Infact this is not the case.  Reading the DVD Device spec (SFF8090)
one can see that the drive should check for region mismatch when one
requests the title key, no the disc key.  Also reading a block should
be alowed when AFS=1, AFS gets set to 1 when the READ DVD STRUCTURE
(disc key) is successfully retrived.  SO you see if one doesn't need
the title key to decrypt the VOB contents (it's cracked or cached
instead) then there is a loop hole.  Requestiong the Disc key should
be ok, and reading the contents should be ok once you have requested
the Disc key.
So this drive goes agains and beyond the specified behaviour in the DVD
Model (but perhaps more in the spirit of CSS / region protection).

> Basically, you need to hunt around on the net and see if you can get
> some RPC-1 firmware for your drive.  There's something out there for
> almost every drive I've ever encountered.

There isn't for this particular drive, maybe someday...

--
Håkan Hjort