Bug report (libdvdcss and UDF filesystems)

Lisandro Pin plisandro at sinectis.com.ar
Fri Jan 20 09:31:42 CET 2006

  Well, not exactly a bug report per-se, but something that can be fixed nevertheless.

  I have (and came across aswell) a lot of burned DVD-Video media that lacks the UDF filesystem structures. Surprsingly, these DVDs play just fine on every single standalone DVD player i've tried them on, even older, first generation ones, and every single player not requiering libdvdcss too; but on Xine, for example, which uses libdvdcss, i get:

lys at Shoshone ~ $ xine dvd:/
This is xine (X11 gui) - a free video player v0.99.3.
(c) 2000-2004 The xine Team.
libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.9 for DVD access
libdvdnav:DVDOpenFileUDF:UDFFindFile /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO failed
libdvdnav:DVDOpenFileUDF:UDFFindFile /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.BUP failed
libdvdread: Can't open file VIDEO_TS.IFO.
libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.9 for DVD access
libdvdnav:DVDOpenFileUDF:UDFFindFile /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO failed
libdvdnav:DVDOpenFileUDF:UDFFindFile /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.BUP failed
libdvdread: Can't open file VIDEO_TS.IFO.

  Now, i know the UDF structures are requiered in the DVD specification. But couldn't something else be done with this? I was thinking of something like trying to read the DVD contents via UDF and falling back to regular ISO9660 if it fails. Could it be possible?

--

Lisandro.