libdvdcss is jacked

Sam Hocevar sam at zoy.org
Thu Mar 2 20:20:44 CET 2006

On Wed, Mar 01, 2006, Andrew A. Gill wrote:

> I try to play a DVD with libdvdcss, and I get garbled output.
> I'm told that it looks like libdvdcss isn't working.  So I
> thought I'd come by here and start screaming at you guys until
> you fix it.
>
> Specifically, I tried csstest, and here's the info:
>
> 	]$ libdvdcss-1.2.9/test/.libs/lt-csstest \
> 	/mnt/cdrom/video_ts/vts_08_0.vob 1024
>
> 	cool, I found libdvdcss version 1.2.9
> 	read failed (no error)

   csstest can only work on devices and on files that can be read. If
the file is on a mounted DVD, the drive will prevent the operating
system from reading it, so you need to access the device instead. Could
you please try again using the device name, eg. "csstest /dev/hdc 1024"?

   Also, setting the environment variable DVDCSS_VERBOSE=2 will give you
debug information that can be helpful to us.

> That, y'know, isn't a very helpful error.

   That's right. I'll see what can be done here.

--
Sam.