[libdvdcss-devel] XDG specification - Cache folder

Ángel González keisial at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 01:04:10 CET 2011

Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote:
> Reimar was against it, because it could contain important data.
>
> See
> http://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/libdvdcss-devel/2010-November/000574.html
>
> Best Regards,
Thanks, I hadn't seen that reply.

*Reimar Döffinger* wrote:
> >/  This means placing dvdcss cache inside $XDG_CACHE_HOME folder with
> />/  $XDG_CACHE_HOME as $HOME/.cache if unset.
> /
> XDG_CACHE_HOME is for "non-essential data". I have some doubts that
> the DVDCSS cache belongs there.
> Since the keys for some very short/simple (never investigated it, but some
> titles from the Australian "Spaceballs" edition show this effect) titles
> cannot be cracked, deleting might mean some DVDs will no longer be playable
> if the drive region code was changed at some point.

Note that if $HOME/.dvdcss existed, my code still used it, so no data would be
lost by an upgrade.

However, the basis of Reimar that it "contains essential data" seems
quite weak,
given that it contains a CACHEDIR.TAG file, marking the folder as
containing " cached
information", suggested "to  avoid backing up, archiving, or otherwise
unnecessarily copying such
directories".
Should the folder be described as a "Non-ephemeral cache contaning
essential data which
shouldn't be backed up" ? :)