[libdvdcss-devel] Next release will be 1.2.13

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Tue Feb 19 11:47:13 CET 2013

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 09:14:46AM +0100, Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
> On 14/02/2013 22:59, Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote:
> > Next release will be 1.2.13
>
> So speaking about next release, I would suggest a couple of things for 1.3:
>
>  - some symbols exported by the current .so.2 library are not declared
> in the header files at all; since the libdvdcss consumers are relatively
> known, and few, I'd suggest we check whether they are using them at all,
> and if not remove them;

+1

>  - the cache... let's start by dropping support for the CACHETAG stuff
> which is ancient and nobody follows anyway; I would vote for removing
> the cache entirely (the thing backfired on me at least in one occasion,
> while I developed xine, because on a tv series set of dvds it would
> calculate more than one with the same name... and obviously the keys
> were different), but I know j-b is not up for that.

I believe the cache is useful.  Cracking keys takes some time on machines
otherwise fast enough to play DVDs...

> I'd suggest to cut it down to just support the XDG-style cache on
> Linux/Unix — and do whatever you want with Windows. I could also suggest
> to use libxdg-basedir, but it would probably be a bit of overkill...
> (xine uses it).

Why not?

I also suggest having a hard look at the rest of the codebase and excising
cruft, plus possibly change APIs.  Here are some ideas:

- There is some #if 0 code of doubtful utility.
- All of src/error.c looks bogus and unused.
- I personally find the changelog file generated from git rather silly.
- There is some private namespace invasion (names starting with _ and
  ending in _t).
- What's with all the silly forward declarations?
- Anybody against running everything through uncrustify?

Diego