[libdvdcss-devel] Any way to improve brute force?

Christian Pernegger pernegger at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 20:40:22 CET 2016

> The cases I know of only fail on short titles, like copyright warnings (the irony!).

My current test case fails on a ~20 min "featurette", so not quite that short.

> In many cases however that is not necessary: you can get the key of the longest title and
> then you check the same key and +- a few values.

I actually know the key, for the above case at least, because I have
the .dvdcss directory from a computer with a drive set to the correct
region. If there were a way to force-feed keys to libdvdcss for use
even on disc images / VIDEO_TS dirs, I'd be home free. Well, I'd still
have to insert each disc once more to get the keys, but that's a ...
sight better than ripping it all again at ~3 MB/s.

AFAICT 1.4.0 doesn't use the cache at all for VIDEO_TS files; for disc
images it insists on using a cache directory with a non-obvious name
(yay strace!) directly under / ...

All that for opera recordings from the early 1980s that I could
probably watch on Youtube in about the same quality. But it's the
principle of the thing, having a clean software solution that doesn't
require fiddling with regionset.

Regards,
Christian