[libdvdnav-devel] Signing Off (was Re: dvdread: beandog branch with fixes)

Andrew Clayton andrew at digital-domain.net
Sun Jan 11 00:51:18 CET 2015

On Sat, 10 Jan 2015 10:20:18 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> As I understand it, the “Signed-Off-By:” line in kernel patches
> indicates that the contributor is agreeing to the Developer’s
> Certificate of Origin <http://lwn.net/Articles/139916/>, which
> basically means the submittor is authorized to publish the
> contribution under the appropriate software licence.
>
> Does this project have a DCO? These are certainly preferable to

Not as far as I'm aware. However many projects have adopted the Kernels
commit message tags and even if they don't have a DCO so to speak, the
intent is clearly there.

A quick git log shows that so far Signed-off-by and Tested-by have
been used by various people (including the maintainer). Although it's
perhaps not strictly enforced...

> Contributor Licence Agreements <http://lwn.net/Articles/592503/>,
> which some projects insist on.

Right, a CLA is an entirely different beast.

Cheers,
Andrew