[mpris] Purpose?

Anders Gustafsson andersg at 0x63.nu
Thu Feb 8 21:57:08 CET 2007

Hi,

I hope atleast someone is subscribed and can read this :)

I think that we must first agree on what the purpose of the interface is.

I can see two different ways to go.

One is a full fledged interface, that can control every aspect of the
media player, meaning that the api would target media player frontends.

The other way is to aim at applications that are not primarily
interested in the mediaplayer, but that want to do some basic
interaction with it. I.e application like these:
 * voip application that wants to automatically stop playback
   when there is an incomming call
 * irc client script that announces current track
 * "enqueue in mediaplayer" in contextmenu in filebrowser
 * some alarm clock app that starts music playback with a
   specific track 5 minutes before the real alarm goes on.
 * dock/panel-app for showing current song.
 * script that automatically stops music when your
   bluetooth phone goes out of range.
 * whatever, when the functionality is provided unexpected
   uses tend to pop up.

As you probably can guess I'm in favor of the second way.

 anders