[mpris] Re: Purpose?

Daniel Chokola dan at chokola.com
Fri Feb 9 17:29:58 CET 2007

Anders Gustafsson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I hope atleast someone is subscribed and can read this :)
>
> I think that we must first agree on what the purpose of the interface is.
>
> I can see two different ways to go.
>
> One is a full fledged interface, that can control every aspect of the
> media player, meaning that the api would target media player frontends.

Several clients are already capable of controlling different media
players. This seems like it's better suited per-client or for a library
rather than D-BUS. Plus there's _going to be_ many nontrivial problems
inherent in the way different media players handle commands.

> The other way is to aim at applications that are not primarily
> interested in the mediaplayer, but that want to do some basic
> interaction with it. I.e application like these:
>  * voip application that wants to automatically stop playback
>    when there is an incomming call
>  * irc client script that announces current track
>  * "enqueue in mediaplayer" in contextmenu in filebrowser
>  * some alarm clock app that starts music playback with a
>    specific track 5 minutes before the real alarm goes on.
>  * dock/panel-app for showing current song.
>  * script that automatically stops music when your
>    bluetooth phone goes out of range.
>  * whatever, when the functionality is provided unexpected
>    uses tend to pop up.
>
> As you probably can guess I'm in favor of the second way.

Seconded. It's trivial to do and well-suited to D-BUS.

>  anders

-Dan Chokola