[mpris] [ANN] libmpris

Mirsal Ennaime mirsal.ennaime at gmail.com
Fri May 21 15:20:22 CEST 2010

2010/5/21 Mirsal Ennaime <mirsal.ennaime at gmail.com>:
>> Also, I was thinking about moving it to use eggdbus but maybe it will
>> be better to wait until 2.0 to move code.
>
> It would add significant dependencies that are very large compared to
> the size of the lib and it would mean a major rewrite. However, it's
> not necessarily a bad thing, especially if the result is several
> orders of magnitude more maintainable.

I've been thinking about this, EggDBus makes a lot of sense for
GObject-based code. However, I'd rather either make it a separate lib
or keep the low-level dbus code around along with a compile-time
switch, because of the original purpose of libmpris.
(it was meant to be a very lightweight layer with as few external
dependencies as possible which could provide a relatively easy access
to the mpris interface without the need for large dependencies like
GObject).
If a project uses high level libraries which include dbus bindings,
then it is very likely that those bindings enable an easy-enough
access to the bus so that the need for an external dependency is not
justified.

If nobody uses the low level code, it might just disappear anyway.

My two cents ;)
--
Mirsal