[mpris] working on a 2.0 draft

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Sat May 22 21:32:24 CEST 2010

----- Message d'origine -----
> So, the changes I'm proposing to discuss for a 2.0 draft version are :
>
>  * Correct interface names and object path namespaces

I have not checked the draft yet, so I am not sure what you mean. But I fail to see why object paths should be namespaced. oFono and BlueZ do not namespace their paths, this just fine.

Keep in mind that paths are scoped to bus connections, and methods are scoped to interfaces. Thus only bus names and interfaces need proper namespaces. If two applications (e.g. VLC and Xine) provide the same paths, they will have different connections and hence different bus names. If a single applications provide two distinct interfaces (e.g. org.mpris.... and org.videolan.vlc...), methods calls will be scoped by interfaces, should the object paths be the same.

There is one failure case: if a single applications runs two instance of the same service. But name spaces do not solve that problem anyway. Conclusion: do not use it.

--
Rémi