[mpris] playlist name change

mirsal at mirsal.fr mirsal at mirsal.fr
Thu Jan 27 17:22:45 CET 2011

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 6:25 PM, Conor Curran
<conor.curran at canonical.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,

Hey !

> On testing with Rhythmbox and Banshee I just noticed that I have no way to
> tell if the name of a playlist changes at some point.

Indeed, we should fix that flaw.

> Would it be possible to add another signal to inform that a playlist detail
> has been edited.

I think that this is the way to go.

What about this one :

    <signal name="PlaylistChanged" tp:name-for-bindings="Playlist_Changed">
      <arg name="Playlist" type="(oss)" tp:type="Playlist">
        <tp:docstring>
        </tp:docstring>
      </arg>
      <tp:docstring xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
          Indicates that either the Name or Icon attribute of a
playlist has changed
      </tp:docstring>
    </signal>

> Alternatively the server could send another playlist count
> change signal after the edit is complete.

Well, this would work around the issue, but I am not sure that this is
a good idea, as it is rather counter-intuitive with respect to the
intended usage of the
org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.PropertiesChanged signal

As a workaround, I'd rather suggest considering playlists as immutable
(that is, changing the name of the playlist would be equivalent to
removing the playlist and adding a new one)

Anyway, The issue is clearly on the mpris side, IMHO, and the new
signal approach seems more correct.

Best regards,

--
Mirsal