[multicat-devel] Multicat reads and HDD disk I/O

david miller dmikemiller at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 29 21:49:14 CEST 2014

Just chiming in, and I'm sure others will as well.

Most IP/UDP video is TS-based and therefore latency sensitive.  You want to spit it out as fast as possible, and buffer on the receiving end with the CPB.  If you have disk I/O issues, you need a faster disk, IMHO.  I can't think of a scenario where I would ever want to buffer like this <ducks>.

FWIW, I would try a commercial streaming solution.  Multicat is good for testing/recording/diagnosis purposes, but is only as good as it's implementation.  If you are having problems with disk I/O, this may not be the solution for you.  There's many other I/O issues in trying this as well (NICs and bus hardware/etc come to mind).

VideoLAN may provide some commercial support if you ask nicely :-).

-Mike

 Sorry I
 meant reading from file to output to multicast.
 On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at
 9:28 PM, Ibrahim Tachijian <barhom at gmail.com>