[streaming] system requirements+stream terrestial TV

Christoph Hörth menetekel23 at renchtal-tuxe.de
Sun Jun 8 17:40:43 CEST 2003

Hi
I'm really impressed by your project and want to test it.
But I can't find anything about system requirements to stream terrestial TV
channels:
I know there are 2 ways to  to achieve MPEG2 encoding.

1) Sofware Encoding:  "ordinary TV card" + a big CPU

2) Hardware Encoding: Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-250, Visiontech Kfir. + a small CPU

What is the cheaper way?
I want to achieve TV-Quality and a steam < 10 MB to send it over WLAN.
What CPU-Speed I need?

On
http://www.hauppauge.com/html/wintvpvr250_datasheet.htm
they recommend Pentium® II processor 600MHz or faster. But I think they under
Linux without a fancy GUI that could be less.
Who has experience with this?

Best wishes Christoph