[streaming] IGMP Host Membership Reports from VLS

Andrew Cotton Andrew.Cotton at rd.bbc.co.uk
Wed Mar 3 16:01:21 CET 2004

Dear VideoLAN,

Whilst running Ethereal on the same Linux Server as VLS I've noticed that
VLS responds to IGMP Host Membership Queries from PIM-SM routers with Host
Membership Reports - one for each Multicast Group that it is streaming.  Is
that correct behavior?  The SAPserver does not respond to Membership Queries.

The reason I ask is because one of our PIM routers appears to reflect all
multicast streams from VLS back to the server that is streaming them.  As
the bitrate can be almost 100 Mbit/s it severely affects the server's
performance, and I wondered if the Membership Reports might be partly to blame.

Our configuration is as follows:

Linux kernel	2.4.21
VLS		0.5.5
SAPserver 	0.2.3