[streaming] Re: Dummies guide to streaming DVDs?

Torsten Spindler spindler at hbt.arch.ethz.ch
Mon Mar 8 08:39:37 CET 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-08 at 00:01, Jonathan Melhuish wrote:
> All I want to do is stream a DVD video over my network, from my
> (headless) Linux server to a single Linux client.  I'd like to be able
> to pause and skip the DVD from my client.  I don't see the need to
> transcode it as I have a 100Mbps link between the two machines.

I'm currently trying to do the same. One way to do this is:

1) Place dvd in server
2) Start vlc on server with vlc -I dummy --extraintf http
2.1) if you want to bind vlc to a specific host or port use --http-host host:port
3) Open your favorite webbrowser on the linux client
4) Load vlc http interface from browser with http://host:port  (will default to hostname:8080)
5) Add your dvd device to the playlist, like
   dvdold:///dev/dvd@1,1
5.1) don't use dvd menus, use the old dvd interface
6) Add streaming destination in the sout field. Udp streaming works fine for me:
   udp://<linux client>:1234
7) Open vlc on linux client, with vlc udp://@:1234

On the client the video should start playing immediately. If you experience delays and
stutter on the client side, probably try --sout-udp-caching on the server or --udp-caching
on the client. For pausing use the http interface of vlc on the server.

Probably there are easier solutions to this problem, but this seems to work.

Bye,
Torsten